Recording members are reminded that a scanning incentive of £5 per animal scanned is still available.
Claims for the incentive must be lodged with the society by the end of the society’s financial year during which the scanning took place i.e. 1 July – 30 June.
No payments will be made for scanning that has taken place in a previous financial year.
It is also important to remember:
• All animals within a contemporary group (whether bulls, heifers or steers) are scanned to maximise the amount of comparable data, with the proviso that to maintain accuracy any differences in management are identified.
• Data will only be accepted from an approved scanning technician. Contact details can be found here.
• The acceptable scanning age range is 300 to 800 days – however, 400 to 600 days is preferred.
• All animals must be weighed at the time of scanning and the weights submitted and verified by the scanning technician.
• Scrotal measurements of all bulls must be recorded by the scanning technician and results submitted.
• Should either of the above not be carried out no incentive will be paid.
• Information from heifers and steers is of equal importance to that of bulls – IMF data from heifers is of particular relevance because they mature earlier.
When booking a scanning technician, please allow plenty of notice due to the large area each scanning technician has to cover and to allow them to better co-ordinate farm visits within each region.